First dates are nerve-wracking, but they can also be exciting. And first date ideas are all about giving you that rush of exhilaration—you want first date ideas that make your heart race, your palms sweat, and your legs shake.
1. Take a cooking class together . Cooking is an activity where it’s easy to be competitive—it’s either “I’m better than you” or “You’re better than me.” So even if the first date isn’t going well, you’ll know pretty quickly who would be more helpful in the kitchen!
2. Watch each other play sports . Be it basketball, baseball, football, soccer…if there’s something you both like to play on weekends with friends, go see if you can get in on a game together. Whichever one of you is better will definitely show off just a little bit, but that’s all part of first date fun!
3. Visit the aquarium . There are fish to look at, there are dinosaurs to stare at…there’s so much interesting stuff to do here it’ll be impossible not to have a good first date.
4. Walk around the mall . Nothing says first date fun like walking around aimlessly while being silently judged by strangers. The best thing about first dates at the mall is how easy it is to bail if things get awkward—you’re only about 1/2 mile from the food court!
5. Go mini-golfing ! This is relaxing first date activity that can be done anywhere. And who doesn’t love trying to hit a little ball into a hole?
6. Go ice-skating ! See if you can find an open rink, then put on those rental skates and hold hands as you both take your first steps on the ice. It’s first date fun for anyone at any age!
7. Take a cooking class together . Cooking is an activity where it’s easy to be competitive—it’s either “I’m better than you” or “You’re better than me.” So even if the first date isn’t going well, you’ll know pretty quickly who would be more helpful in the kitchen!
8. Visit fish stores or aquariums . If one of you is into saltwater and the other is into freshwater, see if you can find one of those indoor pools that lets you walk through with an open top. It’s first date fun for any animal lover!
9. Go bowling . If your first date involves watching each other play sports, why not try something new? Bowling’s a great first date because most people enjoy it—it’s competitive but in a laid-back way—and also because it doesn’t last long.
10. Head to a pet store or adoption center . You don’t have to be a horse person to know that pet stores are fun first dates. And what’s even better about animal adoption centers is how many cute puppies and kittens there are! Bonus first date fun!
11. Go to a city pool . Check out the public swimming options in your town, and see if you can find one with an outdoor pool or a water park. Bonus first date ideas: Make a picnic first and eat it at the park afterwards, go for a hike after first date fun by the pool…the first date possibilities are endless!
12. See a movie together . First dates should be first date ideas that aren’t too time-consuming—leave those all-day hikes for second or third dates—so why not try something quick but still romantic? A first date idea like seeing an early evening showing of your favorite lighthearted comedy is ideal; if things really click, you’ll have plenty of time left over for first date ideas that are more romantic.
13. Find a new hiking trail . Check out your local parks and recreation websites, see if you can find any hikes with good first date potential: Not too long, not too strenuous, but still exciting enough to be first date fun! Bonus first date idea: Meet at the top of your hike and have a picnic lunch together!
14. Watch a local sports game . If sports aren’t really your thing but one or both of you enjoys rooting for a specific team, check out when they’re playing next—maybe it’s an away game coming up soon?
15. Go swimming in the ocean or lake . This first date activity is full of fun—you get to enjoy first date fun together while feeling the first date chills of the ocean on your first date!
16. Take a first date cruise . You can’t help but enjoy first date activities like sunbathing and swimming when you’re cruising in a yacht around an island! And even if things don’t pan out romantically, you’ll still have had first date fun with someone new.
17. Go to a state park . If one or both of you is into hiking or outdoor activities, it’s always good to try out local options first. A state park will let you do that at low cost, no problem! And bonus first date ideas: go fishing in the nearby lake, browse through the gift shop after first date fun in nature…